The title of this post sounds super dramatic right?
I knowwwwwwwwwww, but that’s how I’ve been feeling since stepping fully into the audio world with my very unconventional resumé and not getting any results from the conventional arenas I sought validation from. Rejection is a helluva drug. Wages not commensurate with your experience is a buzzzzzzzkill.
But mostly, I was seeking VALIDATION. And when you seek validation, you relinquish your power and peace of mind.
I was angry, I was worried, I was stressed out. I wondered my place in the scheme of things and wondered who I was.
I spent so much time doing that, I lost sight of what I had accomplished in my most productive year YET.
So I took inventory:
- Cast, produced, sound designed, directed my first audio drama in less than 30 days.
- Took said audio drama on tour through the midwest, USA to Hear Now Audio Fiction Festival, Allied Media Conference, and more.
- Retired from my 1st career as a healthcare professional.
- Facilitated 4 of my podcast intensives, The Podcasters Retreat (6 hours each, 2-5 ppl per session) and provided follow up guidance. Received rave reviews from participants.
- Was invited to Giant Steps conference for creative entrepreneurs in Minneapolis, MN. Gave an awesome podcasting workshop and spoke on a panel about authenticity. Received rave reviews from participants.
- Facilitated a packed workshop at BRIC Arts Media about podcasting during their 2017 Media Maker Weekend. Received rave reviews from participants.
- Produce really awesome episodes of hyper local news podcast, Third Rail by award winning citizen journalist organization, Brooklyn Deep.
- Produce podcasts for private clients.
- Produce a pilot for a recognized network.
- Take ProTools classes. Cause you can’t learn enough.
- Wake up EVERY Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to do your own live morning online radio show at 10am EST, TK in The AM. Book amazing guests, have insightful interviews, be interactive, inspiring, and consistent.
- Produce TWO 12hour marathon live audio marathon events and a film night centered around POC film, providing a platform for a multitude of often unrecognized media makers.
- Help out at Third Coast 2017 in Chicago by live tweeting many of the panels and 2 of the keynotes, increasing the value of said twitter account during the event.
- Hosted several events and panels and venues in NYC.
- Work through BRIC to mentor non- profits for Domestic Workers and lawyers with clients dealing with domestic violence and immigration issues, how to create their first podcast.
- Contributed to The Stoop Podcast as a producer/engineer.
- Was a talking head on BET for mother’s day. (fun!)
- Was named one of Current.org’s rising Black public media talents.
- Do a webinar for the Association of Independents in Radio about taking career risks.
- Teach a podcast webinar to members of Echoing Ida, a platform dedicated to Black women in journalism.
- Was in a book (Testimonies from The Table) filled with Black women inspired by Solange’s “A Seat at the Table” and presented to her at the Guggenheim Museum.
- Ask tons of questions, met tons of people, asked more questions.
It wasn’t until I shared photos from my year on instagram that I realized I was beating myself up over small potatoes. I was worried about metrics that are important to conventional society.
I AM ENOUGH. I AM DOING ENOUGH. I AM DOING GREAT THINGS.
I HAVE TO REMEMBER ALL OF THE ABOVE.
and just when you think you’ve given up- remember who you are and what you’ve done, cause you’re doing great. Make a list, write that shit down, and never forget it. talk to friends, let them help you, let them teach you, let them root for you.
Happy New Year.
Messge: Thank you for rocking with me and my 2017 highlights. Happy New Year! Remember all you did because we tend to dwell on the bad stuff instead of the good. Tomorrow is another day at work for @tkintheam as we celebrate #Haiti Jan 1st with guests, @regineromain and @mistoiny media makers connecting people with Africa and Haiti and reminding us that our ancestors had it right all along. It’s gonna get really real! Oh and there will be soup joumou! Listen live 10-1130am EST on bondfireradio.com and tunein app. #haiti #benin #africa #art #film #wawawadiasporacentre #1804 #independenceday #teamSakPase #happyNewYear